Cleaning up Trac for 8.2.1

Ed McNierney ed at laptop.org
Mon Dec 8 12:04:58 EST 2008

Folks -

I went to take a look at Trac to clean up Milestones and make sure that only
the bugs identified on the 8.2.1 ECO page at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Eco/8.2.1#Relevant_Trac_items are labeled with
that Milestone.  That is, those are the only 8 tickets that should be fixed
and closed for us to release 8.2.1.

When I did that I found that there are 226 tickets with an 8.2.1 Milestone,
199 of which are not closed.  I realize much of this stems from decisions in
8.2 to defer bugs until "next time", but the number of these bugs makes me
wary of proceeding.  Although an 8.2.2 Milestone exists, there are
(fortunately) no tickets with that value assigned.

Since I think our philosophy should be that any 8.2.x release will only
contain bug fixes that are specifically selected and identified as critical
for that bugfix release, I would like to suggest that all 8.2.1 Milestone
values be updated to a 9.1 Milestone value with the exception of the eight
from the ECO (listed below).  When those eight tickets are closed, 8.2.1 is
done.

If we do an 8.2.2 release, we will reclassify any known 9.1 Milestone bugs
to that 8.2.2 Milestone value as part of the process of managing that
release.  In the near term we will have no 8.2.2 Milestone tickets.  This is
somewhat analogous to the non-electronic method Kim used on her whiteboard,
whereby bugs that "really ought to be fixed in an 8.2.1 release but aren't
enough to trigger that release by themselves" were written on a list until
we reached critical mass (or a critical bug) for that release.

Please let me know what you think; counterproposals that do the job better
are welcome.

    - Ed

Tickets from the 8.2.1 ECO:
8155