Module compilation on secondary machine

pgf at laptop.org pgf at laptop.org
Sun Dec 7 15:03:12 EST 2008

snow wrote:
 > I would like to compile the bluetooth module for my OLPC (currently
 > running build 767) and I'm thinking that, in interests of speed, I
 > could compile the modules on a secondary machine and just copy them
 > over.

good plan.  i recall someone saying that building a kernel on the XO
can literally take days.  :-)

 > How would be the best way to setup such an environment?

get a copy of the olpc kernel source from dev.laptop.org -- look
for the source here:  http://dev.laptop.org/browser the project
is called "olpc-2.6".  there are instructions at the top of that
page on how to fetch from git.  when you fetch with git, you'll
want the "testing" branch.  i believe the 767 kernel is tagged,
but since all you'll be building are things that have almost
certainly not changed since we released, you could probably build
HEAD if you wished.  (i'm only "pretty sure" about that.) btw,
the git/web interface will also let you fetch a tarball if you
don't want to bother with git -- click on "tree" and "snapshot".

 > Although, looking at the config file in /boot, there's no mention of
 > bluetooth, so I imagine I'll have to recompile the kernel to
 > accomadate it as well.  The main thrust of getting bluetooth working
 > is to connect to the internet via my phone, when not in range of wifi.

for bluetooth and the supporting USB driver modules there are no
kernel dependencies, so just building the modules would be
sufficient.

however, if you'd like to shortcut the whole process, you can
pick up the modules you probably need from:
    http://dev.laptop.org/~pgf/bluemod.tgz

i built those for my own use.  i'm not running the stock kernel anymore
for other reasons, but i believe those will load on 767.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org
 give one laptop, get one laptop --- http://www.laptop.com/xo