How to get packages on the 8.2 branch?

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 06:18:29 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
> <mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What do we need to do to get packages on the stable 8.2 branch?
>
> That's a good question.  I assume we use the process we used for 8.1,
> which is that you create a trac bug naming the exact package you want
> and the reason for its inclusion, and assign it to ApprovalForUpdate.
> When Michael et al approve it, they assign it to me to pull into the
> stable repository.  (This is documented on the wiki somewhere, but my
> internet access is poor at the moment.  Maybe Michael can help.)

Sounds good.

> But all this is rather disruptive, and I'm not convinced it's an
> appropriate time to make the shift to the 'Fedora way'.  My gut
> feeling would be to defer this until 9.1.  In that case, I'd continue
> building the stable release for 8.2 from the git repo on
> http://mock.laptop.org/repos, which I'll manually add packages to as
> they are requested.  Thoughts, comments, strong preferences?

I don't have a strong feeling about that. I think we should switch to
the Fedora way but not necessarily for this release.

--

Related question, probably more for Michael/Greg. How is the
trac/testing workflow with the stable branch?

We currently set the action to "test in build" as soon as packages
hits joyride. I assume we will test in joyride and then assign to "add
to build". What happens once the package containing the fix is added
to the 8.2 branch? Is the ticket owner in charge of testing in 8.2 or
can we just switch to "qa signoff"?

Thanks,
Marco