How to get packages on the 8.2 branch?

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Sat Aug 30 09:52:10 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> What do we need to do to get packages on the stable 8.2 branch?

That's a good question.  I assume we use the process we used for 8.1,
which is that you create a trac bug naming the exact package you want
and the reason for its inclusion, and assign it to ApprovalForUpdate.
When Michael et al approve it, they assign it to me to pull into the
stable repository.  (This is documented on the wiki somewhere, but my
internet access is poor at the moment.  Maybe Michael can help.)

I just fixed joyride this morning to pull from the dist-olpc3-devel
tag in koji, fixing the issues we've had since the koji tags were
reconfigured.  If we use the Fedora process, there's a progression
from dist-olpc3-devel to -testing to -updates, and you'd assign
packages to the stable 8.2 branch by tagging them for -testing --
presumably after the same ApprovalForUpdate process.  If I understand
correctly, dist-olpc3-updates would be used only for 'released'
builds, so moving from -testing to -updates would be a
mostly-bookkeeping operation performed as part of the formal release
of 8.2.

In the same spirit, dist-olpc3-devel should be used only for packages
which are *candidates* for 8.2, and the start of 9.1-related work
should happen on dist-olpc4-devel.  Perhaps 'faster' can be reopened
on that branch for the time being.

But all this is rather disruptive, and I'm not convinced it's an
appropriate time to make the shift to the 'Fedora way'.  My gut
feeling would be to defer this until 9.1.  In that case, I'd continue
building the stable release for 8.2 from the git repo on
http://mock.laptop.org/repos, which I'll manually add packages to as
they are requested.  Thoughts, comments, strong preferences?
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )