Request: Jabber server for developers

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Aug 25 15:16:46 EDT 2008

Seth Woodworth wrote:
> I cleaned up some of the Jabber pages on the wiki last night:
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Jabber
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Community_Jabber_Servers
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Run_a_Jabber_Server
>
> I also added a wiki navigation header in a template: {{jabber}}
>
> My plan/goal was to provide ''Running a Jabber Server'' as an open
> task to the Volunteer Infrastructure-Gang.  I think that running a
> really solid vmware (or zen) instance of ejabbered would be a really
> simple and useful task for volunteers to work on.

I second this. Having a good VM with ejabberd preconfigured (plus
instructions, of course) would be great! For example, grandma's LAMP
(http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/581) is a Ubuntu 6.06.1
based LAMP development environment. I use it all the time to stage sites
that need maintenance or tweaking. Having a canned solution reduces the
barrier to entry for running servers.

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.