Request: Jabber server for developers

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 14:40:14 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 20:31, Seth Woodworth <seth at laptop.org> wrote:
> I cleaned up some of the Jabber pages on the wiki last night:
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Jabber
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Community_Jabber_Servers
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Run_a_Jabber_Server
>
> I also added a wiki navigation header in a template: {{jabber}}

Thanks!

> My plan/goal was to provide ''Running a Jabber Server'' as an open task to
> the Volunteer Infrastructure-Gang.  I think that running a really solid
> vmware (or zen) instance of ejabbered would be a really simple and useful
> task for volunteers to work on.

Providing that it is adequately monitored - the community servers have
serious downtime and the admins of those servers don't seem to do
anything about it. Perhaps recommending that the server admin have a
sugar session running on that server on a daily basis to see server
health would be a good thing - or providing a big red email address to
poke when anyone notices it's not working.

> The best first step (IMO) would be to recruit for the Infrastructure-Gang to
> better support public tools created and maintained by the community.

Great, but please don't let that hold us back with getting this up and
running :)

Regards
Morgan