New wireless/mesh icon info testers needed (#2866, #6995)

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Tue Aug 12 06:52:15 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 07:02:49PM +1000, James Cameron wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 08:21:55AM +0100, Martin Dengler wrote:
> > Thanks very much!  If you have any comments on how I could have made
> > it easier for you to test [...]
>
> I have serious suggestions.

Thanks.  They are valued.

> git wasn't on the laptop.

I know - that's why my instructions said "[testers] willing to pull
down a git clone".  But I completely take your point that it's very
onerous if one doesn't have git or cheap bandwidth.

> If your changes were provided as an RPM then that may have widened the
> test field.  Then again, the sugar RPM on joyride-2286 is 1485430 bytes,
> according to rpm -qi.

Hmm...good point.  I've always been less inclined to take an RPM
because 1) it's a bit more opaque for such a small change; and 2)
it seems, for me, to be in practice just as annoying to reverse - I
have to figure out the previous version, have yum-utils installed for
the source download tool, and use some rpm --force (or yum-utils for
the downgrade plugin/tool) to downgrade.  I wonder if anyone can point
out any preference for RPMs or conviences I'm overlooking...

> If your changes were provided as above as a tarball, the testers might
> step over the threshold more willingly.

Perhaps I should set up come git hooks so that when I commit to my
d.l.o git, I automatically get a tarball of the diffs to the joyride
tag.  Then I could make a tarball available as easy as I could a
git-clone.

> Lastly, your test instructions were not clear.  I had to figure out that
> the screenshot behaviour was new.  Next time, say "engage the frame,
> hover over the symbol, look at the IP address, and the signal strength
> bar".  ;-)

Thanks, good point.  It's tempting to defer writing the |TestCase|
(for trac) until later since I've been staring at this for a while,
but (as you imply) it wastes testers' time if they're not familiar.

> Oh, by the way, it worked, well done!

Thanks for persevering and taking the time to write up useful
suggestions.  I'm not sure if lots of bugs deserve such a directed
plea for testing but I hope that your feedback can also be of use to
anyone else that wants to try to get help.

> (The old behaviour, of showing a disconnect item, and a channel number,
> for my local wireless network, was gone.  I gather that is what you
> intended.)

Both are intended, but not universally desired :).  See
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6995#comment:27 about the "Disconnect"
item.  The channel number has been requested once/twice now so perhaps
I will add that back in and see how much Eben complains :).

Martin