New wireless/mesh icon info testers needed (#2866, #6995)

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Aug 12 05:02:49 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 08:21:55AM +0100, Martin Dengler wrote:
> Thanks very much!  If you have any comments on how I could have made
> it easier for you to test [...]

I have serious suggestions.

Here is what happened:

-bash-3.2# git-clone git://dev.laptop.org/users/mdengler/sugar xo-sugar-2866
-bash: git-clone: command not found

git wasn't on the laptop.

I was not able to afford a run of yum to install git, due to limits on
download data ... $0.15 per megabyte excess.

Had I installed git, a clone would have cost me no more than 7Mb for the
sugar source.  I just did it to check, on dev.laptop.org.

But I saw that the directories you wanted to symlink were only small,
and a tarball of them was 73612 bytes.  A big change in size!  The
corrected test setup sequence became:

wget http://dev.laptop.org/~quozl/2866.tar.gz
cd /home/olpc
tar xfz 2866.tar.gz
cd /usr/share/sugar/shell
for dir in hardware model view ; do \
    mv -v $dir ${dir}.orig ; \
    ln -vs /home/olpc/xo-sugar-2866/src/${dir} ; \
done

If your changes were provided as an RPM then that may have widened the
test field.  Then again, the sugar RPM on joyride-2286 is 1485430 bytes,
according to rpm -qi.

If your changes were provided as above as a tarball, the testers might
step over the threshold more willingly.

Lastly, your test instructions were not clear.  I had to figure out that
the screenshot behaviour was new.  Next time, say "engage the frame,
hover over the symbol, look at the IP address, and the signal strength
bar".  ;-)

Oh, by the way, it worked, well done!

(The old behaviour, of showing a disconnect item, and a channel number,
for my local wireless network, was gone.  I gather that is what you
intended.)