XO keeps staring at its own belly button

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Mon Aug 11 10:34:46 EDT 2008

Paul writes
> if you disable that client, is the system UI response normal?

Here are some observations from looking at 'top':

When the 100%-CPU-using client was NOT running, I did not observe
'top' showing anything unusual.  I did notice 'olpc-update-query'
running (presumably from 'cron') -- I actually have no need for that
task to be running on my system (I handle updates manually).

When the 100%-CPU-using client WAS running, periodically 'top'
showed 'X' using up to 80% of the CPU during one 'top' reporting
interval.  The large value on the 'X' line was accompanied by a
large value in the '%sy' field in the 'top' header lines.  Sometimes
'ksoftirqd' showed up as taking a little bit of CPU.  [Note that the
100%-CPU-using client writes to the console (from which it was
started) maybe twice a day -- in other words, its use of 'X' is
insignificant.]

Since I was only looking (at the periodic 'top' output), I do not
know how the system UI response behaved.   But I suspect that the
'X' unusually busy usage episodes affected the system UI response.

mikus