XO keeps staring at its own belly button

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Fri Aug 8 23:53:28 EDT 2008

Paul writes
> if you disable that client, is the system UI response normal?

I do not have a straightforward answer.  I am seeing MUCH TOO MUCH
variability in whether I see the sluggishness or not.

So far, when I have paused the ever-running client, I've been seeing
normal system UI response.  But with that client running, there are
periods of an hour or so when the system UI response is normal, and
then periods when the system UI response is sluggish.  [I can't
swear to this, but I think I once experienced sluggish UI response
right after booting, when the only session that had been launched
was the Journal (nothing else!).]

Someone mentioned looking with 'top'.  So far, I've not been able to
see sluggish UI response when 'top' is running.  At least once, when
the system response was sluggish, I could switch <ctl-alt-F2> to the
text console -- but I could not type any commands in at that text
console (it never "echoed" the characters I had entered - it just
gave me a new prompt when I hit <enter> at the end of a command).

--------

Because of how my system behaves in this matter is non-repeatable,
I'm not going to be trying to troubleshoot this.  I posted to
"alert" others to behavior I had not expected -- not to try to
"solve" that behavior.

mikus

p.s.  Someone asked -- this is with a very recent Joyride