Test results on Joyride 2230?

Chris Marshall jns-cmarshall at comcast.net
Tue Aug 5 22:27:40 EDT 2008

Greg Smith wrote:
> Can we get a "show of hands" on who downloaded joyride 2230?
>
> If you didn't try it yet, instructions for downloading it are available
> at: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Friends_in_testing
>
> If you did install it, can you send a quick reply. Any comments on what
> you tried and your impression of its stability is also welcome.

I've installed joyride 2230.

A large number of activities do not start up:  the starting screen
flashes for 30+
seconds and then goes away and nothing.  Included:  TamTam*, Asteroids,
TuxPaint (I've never, ever gotten this to work on the XO...too bad since
it is
a really nice program)...  I've been meaning to make a list but I have
not gotten
around to a careful test.

Browse activity dies in Hotmail if you save a draft or not.  Apparently the
problem has to do with rainbow isolation...at least when I asked my sister
to disable it the problem went away.

The Activity startup seems slower than earlier releases and the startup
screen
often flips back to the Home screen and then to the Activity rather than a
Home -> Startup Screen -> Activity sequence.

I discovered and reported the regression where screen rotate locks up
the display.  Apparently the problem has been around in joyride for a while.

 From Browse, *.xo files no longer download so I cannot install activities.
I have to say that that is too bad.  There were some rough edges to how
things were done but it was a nice way to install new Activities.

I tried using a wireless USB keyboard with my XO.  If I booted with the
keyboard plugged in then nothing worked.  If it did a clean reboot and then
plugged in the keyboard, I was able to get it working.  Unfortunately, that
immediately led to a "sticking control key" problem so I discontinued the
experiment.  I am becoming more convinced that there are a lot of sticking
key problems that are not gummy or weakly insulated mechanisms.

Sorry I have not had time to put things on track but I am visiting my
parents this weekend and need to figure out how I can get them
printing from their XOs.  I *really* wish that Update.1 had addressed
this...  :-(

My overall impression of 2230 is that it seems farther away from something
I would suggest pounding out the "last few bugs" for a release.  No
analysis,
just gut feeling.

Regards,
Chris