Terminals

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri Aug 1 22:29:44 EDT 2008

On 1 Aug 2008, at 14:54, Walter Bender wrote:

> The keyboard issue is simply a matter of having the correct console
> keyboard map files installed. The one for Spanish is attached. Not
> sure what the current plan is for inclusion of these files (Dennis?).
> It should be installed in /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty

Thanks Walter. From Michael's email (thanks too), it looks like the
maps are installed (current Joyride build) already, and a loadkeys es
from the console gets a fair few more of the keys correct. Is this
something worth improving as the map could do with quite a bunch of
corrections? Here's a quick list of miss-matches I noted:

` (shift 3) generates a floating dot of some kind
{ (shift [) generates a strange star like character (not *)
[ generates a +
] generates a ç (c with a 5 shape like accent below)
} (shift ]) generates an uppercase Ç (as above)
+ generates some hidden accent modifier
* generates some hidden accent modifier
~ generates {
^ (alt-gr 5) has no visible effect
\ (alt-gr 7) generates }
º generates [
 > has no visible effect
< has no visible effect

(please let me know if there is a formal place/format I should report
these to if the change is worth making).

The console still feels like a fallback tool in the case of
emergencies (I'm glad to have it there), but Terminal is now a much
more functional (and integrated) interface as noted in a number of
other emails.

--Gary