Terminals

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Fri Aug 1 12:08:25 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 02:45:38PM +0100, Gary C Martin wrote:
> On 1 Aug 2008, at 03:25, Walter Bender wrote:
>
>> Curious as to what occasions need root access within X Windows? Maybe
>> the console is enough?

That would work nicely for me, though it will work much less well for
people who desire the ability to display non-Latin text.

> 1) The keyboard map does not match the machines actual keyboard, so
> trying to remember US key layout on a Spanish keypad is a nightmare :-)
> Anyone know any tricks to correct that?

loadkeys us
loadkeys es
etc. (There may be errors in the console keyboard maps but we fix them
as we find them.)

> 2) Often the olpc related scripts I'd be trying to use would have some
> hooks into X, and other environment variables. Without a lot of env
> hacking/guessing they would just bomb out in console.

export DISPLAY=:0
export XAUTHORITY=/home/olpc/.Xauthority  # may have moved.

Michael