Read Etexts problems with speech-dispatcher resolved -- mostly

Hemant Goyal goyal.hemant at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 06:10:07 EDT 2008

Hi James,

As noted here before, using a multi-threaded activity interferes with power
> management.  Read Etexts will have functioning power management if
> speech-dispatcher is not installed, but will not if it is installed, even if
> you never use the Speech feature.  I know Hemant Goyal was working on that
> problem and I don't know where he left it.

I did explore a few solutions to the problem and make the speechd API use
gobjects to make the communication with the speech server asynchronous. I
believe a certain bugfix in python 2.6 will resolve the problems we are
facing, hence for the moment it was decided to postpone the modification of
the speechd API (also modification of the API implementation was not so
straightforward).

>  He was also working on packaging RPMs for speech-dispatcher on Fedora.  He
> has some that work but have many dependencies that chew up scare disk space.
>  I know he's working on an alternate set of RPMs with fewer dependencies for
> OLPC.  I haven't tried them.

The latest package (OLPC-2 Release 18) can be retrieved from

I have removed the pulseaudio and nas dependencies. You do not have to be
root to be able to run the speech-dispatcher package on XO.

To install speech-dispatcher please uninstall the previous package that you
installed using rpm -e speech-dispatcher and then install the latest
pacakge.

To run speech-dispatcher execute:

/usr/bin/speech-dispatcher -C ~/.speechd/ -P /tmp/speechd.pid

In case you run into any trouble please let me know.

The instructions in the wiki for installing speech-dispatcher are incorrect
> and out of date.  I'm hoping Hemant will update these as well when he is
> ready.

Again, until things are not finalized (they seem to be changing so much) I
dont want to update the documentation.

Cheers!
Hemant