Read Etexts problems with speech-dispatcher resolved -- mostly

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Fri Aug 1 10:13:37 EDT 2008

Hemant,

Thanks for the reply.  I'll try to get to using those new RPMs when I
can.  I hope the Python fix does the trick.  It would save me from
having to rewrite the Activity.

I understand about the instructions for installing the RPMs not being on
the Wiki.  I just mentioned that for the benefit of others on the
mailing list who might want to try out the Activity with speech.

I am more concerned about the synchronization problems I'm having with
text highlighting.  As you know if you've tried my activity, the
highlighting tends to lag behind the speech and some words never get
highlighted at all.  It may be that we can't count on espeak to do the
callbacks in a timely manner and would be better off using festival or
something else.  I know that the code for the Speak activity has some
commented out code for supporting speech-dispatcher.  I borrowed a lot
of it for my own Activity.  So if the author of Speak can fix that up we
might be able to remove espeak without hurting anything much.  I haven't
tried festival myself, though.

Thanks again,

James Simmons