getting started with mesh networking

Victor Lazzarini Victor.Lazzarini at nuim.ie
Fri Aug 1 05:36:49 EDT 2008

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get started experimenting with mesh networking,
but I can't seem to be able to do the basics.

I got two XOs (with different builds, one is the latest joyride). I
get them both connected say to Mesh 1. I see that ifconfig reports
a  IP address on each machine for mesh0, but I can't ping
each other.

In fact I can ping from one to the other but indirectly: one is connected
to ethernet and then it finds a route via the lan and wlan to the wifi-only
machine. Do you think the wlan is interfering with the mesh?

Also: I am not really using the wlan for general internet because it uses
VPN and (unless someone shows me how to do otherwise) I can't use
it with the XO (but I am happy with just using ethernet).

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks for your earlier replies to my other
queries.

Dr Victor Lazzarini
Senior Lecturer
Music Technology Laboratory, Music Department
National University of Ireland, Maynooth