15 computer science collegians looking for a project

karl karl.ramberg at comhem.se
Tue Apr 29 09:21:13 EDT 2008

Patrick Jahenr wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We are a group of 15 collegians, studying 'Applied Computer Science'
> at the University of Applied Sciences in Iserlohn (Germany) and we
> are looking for a project for the OLPC within the scope of our subject
> "Computer-Networks". Our professor (Prof. Martin Hühne) let us choose
> our own topic, leading us directly to our first problem: What can
> we do?
>
> We have to find a project fitting to this demand. We read the wiki
> and realised, that most of our ideas we thought we could implement
> are either finished software projects or simply not good enough to
> keep on thinking about them, because they do not fit to the OLPC-
> ideas. The wiki pages for Project ideas are nice, but you do not
> know exactly whether there is already someone working on one of the
> projects, or not. The Pages for Current Projects are quite nice too,
> but there you do not know if the people working on it actually do
> need help.
>
> That is why we post this little request to the readers of this mailing
> list.
>
> We are looking for either a project we can take part on, or a not-
> yet-implemented idea. It should not bee too big for us in order to
> be finished within time; it should not be too small to have something
> to do for 15 students. (Anyway, don't forget we need to sleep)

All 15 on the same project or on different projects ?

Anyway here is a list of things I think would be nice if they where
addressed :-)
-Gnash enhancement as someone mentioned

-Read activity should be able to handle big (>20M) pdf without problems
-Read activity should bookmark where you are at when quiting
-Read activity annotations

-A email activity

Karl