15 computer science collegians looking for a project

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 14:56:31 EDT 2008

I could very well be way off target with this suggestion, but an
implementation of Groups (background reading, though not quite up to
date: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Human_Interface_Guidelines/The_Laptop_Experience/Zoom_Metaphor#Groups)
seems like a perfect place for some additional help.  It's a feature
that's very much wanted, as far as I can tell, and its very closely
tied to the network space which you hope to focus on.  It's also a
space which has a number of plateaus, I think, which can be reached
stage by stage depending on time, or in smaller groups as you have so
many people to work on it.

This is something that would have to go hand in hand with all of the
collaboration work that Collabora has been doing.  I know it's been in
the back of their minds for some time.  I'm not sure if it would be
feasible to work on Groups separately from their efforts or not, but
it would be worth asking.  If it's indeed possible, they might be
grateful to have help working on some of these items, since they
certainly have a list of bugs that take priority over this feature in
the short term.

I've CC'd Daf, of Colllabora, to see if he has any insight into the
feasibility of such an endeavor.

- Eben