Internet wide chat

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Mon Apr 21 11:54:20 EDT 2008

Hi,

   >  - They asked if video chat is possible.  I recall someone was
   > working on it months ago.  What is the current status?

We need two things:  a codec that we can encode and decode in real-time
(the demo from 2006 used h.263) and a transport layer -- I think we have
a UDP transport for Salut, but not for Gabble, so video chat would be on
the local mesh only.

It would be worth someone checking out the Theora team's latest
optimizations, which might make Theora solve the codec problem.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>