freezing DCON for insecure boot

Kim Quirk kim at laptop.org
Fri Apr 18 08:34:59 EDT 2008

Bernie,
It is really, really important that we don't encourage countries to have
their own images if they are not developers participating in active
development of our code base.

We've had some good discussions around this recently as it has become very
difficult to support Uruguay. This is why we separated out activities and
content from the rest of the image. So that we CAN encourage countries to
choose activities and content (and a few other things), but to try not to do
any customization that requires their own image.

I'm hopeful that what you are talking about is something that CAN go on the
customization stick after the latest build has been installed. I just wanted
to make sure you were up to speed with some of the more recent discussions
we've had about customization.

Once a country has agreed to send some developers to Cambridge to go through
a build side by side with us, then they will have a better chance at
successfully being able to support their own builds. We want to encourage
them to get their changes into our builds so they won't have to manage their
own streams forever.

Scott and Michael will be able to go into the details of the customization
process (if you don't know them).

Thanks for your thoughts and understanding.
Kim