Usability testing

Carol Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Fri Apr 11 10:23:17 EDT 2008

Your reference  argues not to start with usability tests before doing a
design.  This is not what I suggested, since sugar as a design is largely
complete at this point.  The article also. dismisses usability testing as
worthless (despite backing and filling a bit toward the end).  I don't
agree.  However, I assume from the supplied reference that you are stating
that there hasn't been usability testing of sugar.  This is unfortunate.  I
think it has real problems, some of which could be fixed through careful
observation of its use by its target community in the context in which it is
intended, namely classrooms with relatively low adult-student ratios.  This
is a matter of improving the affordances of the design.  Simply asserting
that any problems can be overcome by learning how doesn't seem responsive.

A good example is the rococco color picking widget.  According to my
observation this is very difficult for small children to use, and to learn.
Swatches would be much simpler, with some way to invoke a fully general
picker for the more advanced user.  This is the type of issue that would be
readily seen (and with an open mind, corrected) through usability testing.

--
"Always do right," said Mark Twain. "This will gratify some people and
astonish the rest."