Mini-conference followup

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Tue Apr 8 09:21:50 EDT 2008

Hi Scott,

On Monday 07 April 2008 22:14, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> I've got 11 DV tapes on my desk containing the mini-conference
> "proceedings".  We had to return the DV camera we were using to MIT,
> but hopefully we can borrow another one to get the bits off the tapes,
> and then I'll be transcoding and posting the talks as time permits.
> I'll let you know as I progress.  If anyone would like to volunteer to
> help, that would be appreciated!

I can give you a commandline to grab the tapes with dvgrab (you want raw dv as
container..) and a little script to encode to theora with ffmpeg2theora. (I
guess you dont care about mpeg ;-)

I _guess_ the first is mentioned on http://layer-acht.org/video - for the
second I'll send a seperate mail when I'm online again. (It's really just
ffmpeg2theora with some fancy options, but it takes some time to find those.)

I would also love to see a (probably gstreamer based) script to encode to
dirac (the new codec developed by the BBC aimed a high quality videos), so
far I've only found "oggconvert", which supports a variaty of codecs but is
only GUI based. I haven't looked into this myself, as the one time I tried to
convert to dirac, I could only encode videos with it, but not decode aka view
them...

regards,
	Holger