Mini-conference followup

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Mon Apr 21 08:25:30 EDT 2008

Hi,

sorry for the late reply, I've been laying in bed with quite heavy fever the
whole of last week. On the plus side I was fit again this (last) saturday, to
go to Berlin and found the olpc germany association. (More news on this will
follow..)

On Tuesday 08 April 2008 15:21, Holger Levsen wrote:
> I can give you a commandline to grab the tapes with dvgrab (you want raw dv
> as container..) and a little script to encode to theora with ffmpeg2theora.
> (I guess you dont care about mpeg ;-)

http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2008/fosdem/encode.sh

I'll make sure this will end up linked at http://layer-acht.org/video - so
that you'll only have to remember that URL in future :-)

> I would also love to see a (probably gstreamer based) script to encode to
> dirac (the new codec developed by the BBC aimed a high quality videos), so
> far I've only found "oggconvert", which supports a variaty of codecs but is
> only GUI based. I haven't looked into this myself, as the one time I tried
> to convert to dirac, I could only encode videos with it, but not decode aka
> view them...

decoding dirac now works (in Debian sid, thouugh backports to etch are
trivial), but both the decoder and the encoder lack some serious
optimisation, the performance is still quite poor.

regards,
	Holger