Vmware image

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at suttoncourtenay.org.uk
Mon Sep 24 06:19:39 EDT 2007

"Mike C. Fletcher" <mcfletch at vrplumber.com> wrote:

> You don't mention the host platform or the VMWare version you are
> using.  I'm going to assume you are running on VMWare 5.x on Linux.
> I've never managed to get USB devices working with any virtual machine
> on my boxes, btw, and that didn't change just now when I went to map a
> usb key drive into my vm.  Apparently people do it all the time, but it
> doesn't work *here* anyway.  Anyway, reading around at:
>
> http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=430890
> http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=94556&tstart=0
>
> seems to suggest that various versions of vmware just don't support USB
> 2.0 at all and suggest using e.g. a USB 1.1 hub in order to interface,
> or to use "Player 2.0", which apparently does support USB 2.0.

VMWare 5.x does not support USB 2.0, VMWare 6.x/Player 2.0 will support USB
2.0, but only if you are using a 'Workstation 6' image. The images at
http://dev.laptop.org/pub/virtualbox/ are 'Workstation 5' images, so even
if you use Player 2.0 you still won't get USB2 support.

If you have Workstation 6, then the fix is simple: you use the 'upgrade or
change version...' command on the VM menu. I just tried that and it worked
fine for me with Windows/XP as a host.

If you only have VMware player, then your best bet is probably to find
someone who has Workstation 6 and ask them to convert the VM for you.