Vmware image

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at vrplumber.com
Thu Sep 20 23:25:09 EDT 2007

ankita prasad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the OLPC-595.zip vmware image for the XO from
> http://dev.laptop.org/pub/virtualbox/. Everything works but for my usb
> devices, which are not recognized at all. When I plug a usb device and
> move it to my VM, i get an message saying usb 2.0 might not be
> supported(not verbatim) and the device may not behave as expected.
>
> ls -l on /proc/bus/usb shows no files. Why is this happening? Do i
> need to install usb 2.0 support? If so, how?
You don't mention the host platform or the VMWare version you are
using.  I'm going to assume you are running on VMWare 5.x on Linux.
I've never managed to get USB devices working with any virtual machine
on my boxes, btw, and that didn't change just now when I went to map a
usb key drive into my vm.  Apparently people do it all the time, but it
doesn't work *here* anyway.  Anyway, reading around at:

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=430890
http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=94556&tstart=0

seems to suggest that various versions of vmware just don't support USB
2.0 at all and suggest using e.g. a USB 1.1 hub in order to interface,
or to use "Player 2.0", which apparently does support USB 2.0.

Good luck, and HTH,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder