#3431 HIGH Trial-3: Need to be able to share objects in the mesh, not just activities

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 10:20:29 EDT 2007

SJ, I think that the "Meshboard" of which you speak embodies most of
our goals for bulletin boards as designed early on.  We may need to
think through some more details, but this is certainly the goal if we
can manage it.  Things would probably time out, and they might time
out based on popularity and other factors, too.  They would travel
"over the mesh" assuming anyone currently on the mesh had picked up
the object (eg. it would still be distributed).

I think a distributed persistent bulletin board is where we're
heading, but I think that the one-to-many approach of serving it up
only from my own machine will get us a lot in the near term.  As a
side note, we may also want to think about the "send to" action and
how we might allow direct transfer of things from XO to XO.

Also, I like your previous comment about the method of "grabbing" one
of these shared objects.  I think that this greatly simplifies the
interaction, which is especially good for now.  At its core, this
action is a download, which the Journal now neatly handles, and it can
handle opening it with any suitable activity as you mention.

- Eben