B4 autoinstallation fails (gives a 'help' prompt)

Asko Kauppi askok at dnainternet.net
Fri Sep 14 03:01:49 EDT 2007

Current firmware: Q2C25

Upgrading to: Q2C26, OS579

** Trying with SD card **  (use of the microSD adapter is a BIIIG
mistake, came out half torn!  :)

Pressing 'X' and powering on takes me to:

 > USB 2 devices:
 > /pci/usb at f,5/wlan at 0,0
 > USB 1 devices:
 > Type the ESC key to interrupt automatic startup
 > Boot device: /sd/disk:\boot\olpc.fth   Arguments:
 > Type 'help' for more information.
 >
 > ok

The "Type help for more information" and "ok" are not mentioned in
the instructions I've read.  The SD card is FAT16 formatted 512MB
microSD (with adapter). Formatted within OS X but should be "right".

Anyone else seen the "help" prompt; what is it about?

Typing "boot" there seems to go somewhere, but no text whatsoever is
printed on screen.

** Trying with a USB 1 era SD/USB adapter **

 > USB 2 devices:
 > /pci/usb at f,5/wlan at 0,0
 > USB 1 devices:
 > /pci/usb at f,4/scsi at 3,0
 > /pci/usb at f,4/scsi at 3,0/disk
 > Found USB 1.1 disk!
 > Type the ESC key to interrupt automatic startup
 > Boot device: /usb at f,4/disk:\boot\olpc.fth  Arguments:
 > Type 'help' for more information.
 >
 > ok

Again, I should not be getting the 'help' notion, right?

Typing 'boot' here gives:

 > autore-version$ isn't unique
 > do-usb-upgrade? isn't unique
and a lot of such not unique things

So, this points to olpc.fth having problems executing. Could it be
linefeed issue?

I've downloaded the file in OS X and it seems to have retained Linux/
OS X (LF) linefeeds.

Any ideas?  :?

-asko