Reporting bugs

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Tue Oct 30 12:09:58 EDT 2007

There is a balance here: I may not be hitting it the balance right.

Any report of bugs is goodness; but if trac's signal to noise ratio goes
bad, we can't see the forest for the trees.
.
A reproducible bug is much more valuable to us than ones that are not; a
bug against current bits are much more valuable than old ones, exactly
because we have a better chance to go fix it. Having developers spend
time wading through bugs that there is no way to reproduce, either
because the recipe for doing so, or insufficient information on what
versions were being used.

So if a bug clearly needs more information to be able to be chased, it
seemed reasonable to me to request information from the reporter, wait
for a few days, and then close it if the reporter does not bother to
even acknowledge the request for more information.

Is this reasonable, or not?
                                   - Jim

--
Jim Gettys