Updated glibc-2.7 for geode

Rob Savoye rob at welcomehome.org
Thu Nov 29 11:48:33 EST 2007

Bernardo Innocenti wrote:

> My build fails like this:
>
> ---cut---
> gcc   -nostdlib -nostartfiles -r -o /home/bernie/src/pkgs/glibc/OLPC-2/glibc-20071017T2029/build-i586-linuxnptl/libc_pic.os \
>          -Wl,-d -Wl,--whole-archive
> /home/bernie/src/pkgs/glibc/OLPC-2/glibc-20071017T2029/build-i586-linuxnptl/libc_pic.a

   This looks like --with-cpu wasn't given to configure. The spec patch
should add this, but you also have to do this if building without
rpmbuild. Even to build an standard x86 glibc, I found things work best
if I use --with-cpu=i686.

> Damn'it... they probably changed the interface slightly in
> glibc 2.7.  If you have time to look into this, that would
> be great.  Otherwise, I may give it a shot when I got some
> more time.

   MY main workstation blew up on Friday, and it turns out it'll be
locked up in the shop (it was under warranty still) till next week.
That's my primary build machine, with most of my modified tool chains,
glibc, and other build stuff are located. I don't have enough disk space
on this laptop to build glibc. :-( I can go grab the machine (video card
less) if you need me to look into this in the next day or so, but I'd
prefer to wait for the replacement video card and power supply if possible.

> By the way, why can't we drop the geode optimized routines in
> sysdeps/i386/i686?  The i686 subarch has many more asm
> optimizations that we may like to have on the geode too.

   The geode patch must be in sysdeps/i386/i686, not in i585. For the
Geode support, it only configures correctly if the geode sub directory
is in the i686 directory.

	- rob -