WSJ

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 02:08:49 EST 2007

Bernardo Innocenti writes:
> On 11/25/07 18:58, Mike C. Fletcher wrote:

>> * we need to make use on multi-user machines easy, where Sugar
>>   is just a desktop manager session that is run just as one
>>   would run KDE or Gnome (so that computing lab situations can
>>   let children use Sugar's safe, rich  without giving up the
>>   ability to run KDE/Gnome)
>
> AFAIK, both the mainstream desktops were far too bloated to
> be usable on the XO.  I can easily believe it, as the latest
> versions are almost unusable on my 1GHz iBook G4, too.

I think the point is to make a "Sugar desktop" be an choice
on a normal machine. Maybe one could select it at login, or
switch to it via some control panel. It'd be like how people
choose between KDE and GNOME. Sugar would be another choice.

That would be nice.

Another thought along those lines is to simply allow Sugar
activities to run on the normal desktops. Depending on what
is best for the particular activity, it comes up fullscreen
(which may be 2560x1600) or in a 1200x900 window.