Telling time (was: StopWatch activity)

nick knouf nak44 at cornell.edu
Fri Nov 16 15:13:30 EST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007, at 1:57 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>   Well, it seems that you are responding to a wrong message.

Not really; if the question is whether or not there is a clock
application that is standard on the laptop, implicit there is a
decision as to _what kind_ of clock application.  It's that question
that I wanted to highlight.

>   So, what do you think about the idea of letting kids make their own
> clocks?

I should have made it more explicit in my e-mail that I would
certainly be in favor of a variety of different clock applications
that reflect local conditions or are based on the logic or whimsy of
the user.  The only thing I would caution is that the clock
construction environment should not privilege one type of
representation versus another.  Not that I am suggesting that you or
anyone else is necessarily doing that; again, I raise the point for
the purposes of making the question salient.

nick