power management

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 20:53:33 EDT 2007

Richard A. Smith writes:

> In my previous mail on EC commands (EC can wakeup the CPU) I asked
> if we want the EC to wake up the processor when the battery capacity
> decreases by some x% and what x should be.  Or should we set a single
> battery trip level?  I was planning on a battery at critical stage
> alarm as well.
>
> What sort of thing would we do with knowing that the battery
> decreased from 50% to 40%?

Well, how many steps do you have? Divide the battery life by that
to get the maximum rate. If that's not more than 1 per minute,
then you might as well report every change.

Another factor is stability of the numbers. Maybe you should only
report when the current value differs from the last reported value
by at least two units.