[Fwd: Re: [Trac #1181] ugly X cursor appears at startup]

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Wed Mar 28 18:06:43 EDT 2007

I have memories of working on cursors, including the text cursor used in
Xt application.  It's conceivable Bob did the X cursor; I just know that
both of us spent time creating cursors (and the hash pattern background
that is the default on the X server is definitely mine).  That X cursor
dates back to at least X8 (1985?); before that, I think we may have had
only xor cursors rather than 2 plane cursors, and there was a stupid
patent on xor cursors we were avoiding; thankfully, 2 plane cursors were
just better, and some of the hardware even supported them by then.

On the Gumby front:

IIRC the events of 20 years ago, for X11R1 during beta test, I put out a
call for cursors for the default cursor font.  Someone, I sure don't
remember who, came up with Gumby.  If someone had come up with an easter
egg, I would have added it too. If I knew then as much as I know now
about copyrights and trademarks, Gumby would not be in the font.
                              - Jim

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 17:35 -0400, Owen Williams wrote:
> > Changes (by jg):
> >
> >   * owner:  jg => Eben
> >   * milestone:  Untriaged => CTest
> >
> > Comment:
> >
> >  Heh?  You don't like my cursor from 1984?  such taste....  I never claimed
> >  to be a graphics artist...
>
> That's yours?  My mind is blown.  Maybe you can explain why there's a
> GUMBY, then?  I'm surprised one of cursors isn't a literal easter egg :)
>

> owen

Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child