Power connector specification changes

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Mar 28 16:13:50 EDT 2007

> However, this removes truck batteries from the list of usable power
> sources. This is not necessarily a problem, but I thought it should be
> mentioned.

It's very hard to make supplies that run in an automotive environment.  Even
12V systems must be prepared for 40-60 V spikes, and they aren't just narrow
ones that are easy to filter out.  Many vendors make special versions of
regulator chips for the automotive market.

Google for >load-dump< if you want lots of info.  You might have to include >
automotive< or >alternator<.

Here are a few hits:
http://www.sto-p.com/pfp/pfp-transients.htm (has graph)
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5861/products_installation_guide_chapter