Schematics (parts list) and power

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Sun Mar 25 18:41:22 EDT 2007

On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 12:54:42AM -0700, Hal Murray wrote:
> I think the pin is 1.3 mm dia, but that's only a good guess.  (1.7 is
> too big, 1.1 is too small.  Digikey carries 1.3 mm parts.)  Can
> anybody confirm the size of that pin?

I couldn't get my vernier caliper into the hole.

I wasn't able to find a good match in my extensive collection of spares
for either the B1 or the B2.  The closest matches were prone to arcing
if the cable moved.

So I cut the green cable.  This is for attaching the laptops to a
automobile DC supply.

http://dev.laptop.org/~quozl/2007-02-06/s08-348x.jpg

1.  disconnect power adaptor from AC supply and allow to discharge,

2.  prove discharge using a voltmeter and 100 ohm resistor, connected in
parallel across the output plug,

3.  determine an appropriate location for the task (my cut was 100mm
from the adaptor),

4.  observe or mark the polarity on the cable (the B1 power adaptors had
a white ink mark on one of the conductor sheaths),

5.  place heatshrink over ends, strip ends, terminate, shrink,

6.  apply power, measure output, connect to laptop.

In the photograph, the adaptor is to the right, the output plug is to
the left.  The wires to the adaptor were anchored directly to the screw
terminal block.  The wires to the output plug were crimped with 2mm
spade connectors, since they would be regularly removed from the
terminal block and attached to another terminal block.  The heatshrink
tubing acts as strain relief.