Source code in the *.xo file?

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 17:59:37 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 13:27 -0700, MBurns wrote:
> On 3/21/07, Albert Cahalan <acahalan at gmail.com> wrote:

> > So maybe I pack up up with bzip2 and toss that
> > into the *.xo file?
>
> No, thank you.

I would reiterate this would be a very bad thing to do.  We have limited
space on the devices and while it would be nice to be able to ship with
the source code it would mean less applications and content could go on.
This is why we promote the use of scripting languages since they allow
children to explore the code base without being a burden on the on disk
resources.

The best thing to do is to have the source code in a public repository
and to provide a HACKING file in the .xo which describes how to get the
source and compile it.