Touchpad stylus mode

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Mon Mar 19 16:05:14 EDT 2007

The issue is whether we can easily treat them as separate devices, or
tied together as a single pointer, and go back and forth.

The input part of the X server is in the middle of a complete rewrite:
X.org 7.3 has the new input code.

I've been a little reluctant to do much work on this before
transitioning to the new input model.  But the time is coming soon, and
this discussion is useful.
                                - Jim

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 21:08 -0400, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> Bert Freudenberg and Jim Gettys had the right idea on March 7th.
> It goes something like this:
>
> a. Mode switches do not move the pointer.
> b. On one device (probably the middle), jumps do not move the pointer.
> c. On the other device, jumps move the pointer. There is no acceleration.
>
> By "jump" of course I mean lifting your finger/stylus and moving
> it to some other location rather than sliding it to that location.
>
> I tend to think that an equal-cost plain touchpad would be a lot
> more reliable and usable though. Putting the buttons on the side
> (replicated on both sides maybe) would have allowed more front-back
> distance and made two-handed use much easier.
>
> There doesn't seem to be a good solution to unintentional mode switches.
> It will be especially bad when accidentally invoking the relative device
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child