Touchpad stylus mode

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 21:08:30 EDT 2007

Bert Freudenberg and Jim Gettys had the right idea on March 7th.
It goes something like this:

a. Mode switches do not move the pointer.
b. On one device (probably the middle), jumps do not move the pointer.
c. On the other device, jumps move the pointer. There is no acceleration.

By "jump" of course I mean lifting your finger/stylus and moving
it to some other location rather than sliding it to that location.

I tend to think that an equal-cost plain touchpad would be a lot
more reliable and usable though. Putting the buttons on the side
(replicated on both sides maybe) would have allowed more front-back
distance and made two-handed use much easier.

There doesn't seem to be a good solution to unintentional mode switches.
It will be especially bad when accidentally invoking the relative device