Troubles getting started...

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Mar 15 14:26:54 EDT 2007

I have a shiny new B2 system, but I'm not getting very far.

The recipe at
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Autoreinstallation_image
seems simple enough, but nothing happens when I try it.  During booting, if
finds the disk and puts a Flash icon up top, but then it just boots the old
software.

I assume I don't have the filesystem and/or partition types setup correctly.
I've tried a couple of combinations, but no luck yet.  A Linux ext2 on the
raw disk (no partitions) gets some error messages I don't normally see.
  Can't open disk label package.

Can somebody tell me some combination that is known to work with Open
Firmware?  What partition type number and what mkfs or mkdosfs commands?
I've got a 1GB flash drive if the size makes any difference.

Are wired Ethernet USB gadgets expected to work?  I don't have any wireless
gear to talk to.  I now have a Linksys USB200M.  That seemed simpler than
setting up a wireless base station.

I was expecting things to just work via DHCP.  It didn't, so I'm trying to
set things up by hand.  I'm not getting very far.

The new device shows up as eth0, bumping the internal wireless to eth1.  I
turned off NetworkManager since it was confusing me, for example by turning
eth0 off.

I've never seen any packets come in.  The LED on the USB200M blinks when I
expect arp packets on my lan.  The RX counter from ifconfig -a still says 0.

I've never seen any packets go out.  The TX counter goes up, but the LEDs
don't blink.  I see some errors too.  /var/log/messages says "eth0: transmit
timed out"

That's running build 239.

ping from Open Firmware works.

Is there a wiki section that covers getting started and low level hints?  If
so, how should I have found it?