[Trac #1053] OLPC needs a usable GUI (i.e. not Sugar)

Bipin Gautam bipin.gautam at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 12:36:48 EDT 2007

 >OLPC should abandon Sugar and install a working Linux GUI.

YES.

how about FLUXBOX. ( http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/) I find it a
pritty neet GUI manager and it wont eat up sooo much of resource! I
find sometimes sugar using ~30% of CPU in normal cursor movements in
desktop (try it)

Its SAD to see XO focuses on GUI experience of a 6 year old but 10
years old are second priority!?

If we target XO to be used by 6-13 year old kids. 6-9 year kid will
live it... 9-13 years old will (probably) try seek for better
alternate!

In developing countries XO wont be in hands of children <5years old.
Maybe 6-7 year old kids after they have learned how to hold a pencil
and draw with their hand.

>Comment (by RafaelOrtiz):
>Velocity of performance
>they dont complain about difficulty or
>easiness, they just want to
>explore and to play.

Funny! . Firstly, do they know other GUI managers exist in the first
place? (so that they can use it, then compare and probably complain???
) others are better.... others are better......

>A traditional desktop environment does not meet
>OLPC requirements in many respects, including the
>new collaboration, and storage (Journal) mechanisms.
>Try retrofitting GNOME or KDE with that.

So does that mean... we didnt have alternates so we CREATED a NEW GUI
or we we created a NEW GUI because it was better?

-bipin