codec optimization

Håkon Wium Lie howcome at opera.com
Thu Mar 1 13:48:06 EST 2007

Also sprach Dan Williams:

 > > I am interested in helping optimize the video/audio codec used in OLPC.
 > > But I don't know which one will be used mainly. Can anyone point it out to me?
 >
 > It's likely Ogg Theora (video) and Ogg Vorbis (audio).  They are in need
 > to some optimization help, so anything you could provide would be great.

After some late nights in the lab, we have just proposed making video
a first-class citizen on the web by adding a <video> element:

  http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2007-February/009702.html

Our internal implementation uses Theora and it looks great. We havn't
tried it on the XO yet.

-h&kon
howcome at opera.com                  http://people.opera.com/howcome