Why not Xvid? [was codec optimization]

Zvi Devir zdevir at technion.ac.il
Thu Mar 1 13:55:14 EST 2007

Sorry for jumping ahead, but this something I really don't understand.
Let's assume that there are currently a few valid US patents on JPEG,
MJPEG (There are probably more) as well as for MPEG4.2 (xvid divx wmv1
and many more are MPEG4 part 2 implementations). My question is, so
what? A patent is a territorial legal being -- it is valid only where it
was granted. Even if JPEG is covered by hundreds of active US patents,
and some unenforceable EU patents, it has nothing to do with countries
in which the OLPCs will be distributed, since those patents are invalid
there.

salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
> On Tue, February 27, 2007 19:46, José Antonio wrote:
>> What about Xvid? It is open source and is the better codec in CPU
>> resources
>> use and quality...
>
> Well, if you are going to use patented codecs, why not just use x264. It's
> better quality than xvid.
x264 requires more computation power for decoding compared to xvid.

> Gabriel.
> http://lives.sourceforge.net

Zvi.