csound and glade / pygtk

Jean Piché jean at piche.com
Fri Jun 29 12:35:18 EDT 2007

From: James Bergstra <james.bergstra at umontreal.ca>
Subject: Re: Fwd: csound and glade / pygtk
To: devel at laptop.org
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 12:24:07 -0400

You're right that there are many good ways to make a GUI app around
csound. In
TamTam, we are using csound as a sound rendering library, within a
pthread that
writes directly to ALSA.  These things are controlled by a C++ python
module
that we import into TamTam.

Without a clear idea of the approach you've taken, or the problems
you are
facing, I venture that the following tip:

If you are using multiple threads of python code, you should be aware
of the
global interpeter lock (often called GIL).  To prevent gtk from
hogging the GIL
while there are no events to handle, you might want to explore the
functions
threads_init(), threads_enter(), and threads_leave() in gdk

James