csound and glade / pygtk

Owen Williams owen at ywwg.com
Fri Jun 29 13:23:24 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 11:44 -0400, dietmar offenhuber wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am still having some trouble building a pyGTK interface for a csound
> application - a simple one, basically just as a replacement for FLTK
> widgets, which are not supported on the laptop. i am aware that there
> are multiple approaches at the moment, including the csound server
> etc.
>
> the csound event and the pygtk interface currently run on seperate
> threads, but they interfere with each other - any activity in the
> interface causes csound to stop. i was wondering whether anyone has
> some examples of similar applications running on the laptop?
>
> best,
> dietmar

This behavior sounds like problems I've had when I forget to call
gtk.gdk.threads_init().

I don't think you have to worry about threads_enter and threads_leave
unless you plan to make calls to GTK from a thread separate from the
main GTK thread.  But you do always need to initialize threads in a
multithreaded program.

owen