White background with OLPC logo

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Tue Jun 5 12:20:41 EDT 2007

On 05/06/07 12:01 -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:
> Jordan Crouse wrote:

> >>Why?  The bright color theme patch is nicely configurable
> >>and generally useful on any platform.
> >
> >But its not - your patch just adds our specific scheme which is just as
> >arbitrary and inflexible as the original scheme.   Unfortunately,
> >this is not a solution that scales very well for every Tom, Dick and
> >Harry that want the console colors to be their corporate color scheme
> >(Of course, I vote for AMD Green #007A51).
> >

> When cjb originally merged the patch into 'playground', I was trying to
> come up w/ a more flexible scheme.  Unfortunately, dealing w/ an array
> of >10 bytes is not going to be something that anyone will want to
> configure via command line or .config.  OTOH, if we could provide a map
> or aliases of some sort, that might be doable (ie,
> CONFIG_CONSOLE_BGCOLOR=green, CONFIG_CONSOLE_FGCOLOR=pink).

I can't argue that any of the solutions are ideal - a generic method
is just as bad as the others.  I'm simply arguing that Linus is unlikely
to take any of these, so its not really something we should be spending
our time on, especially if we're moving to splash screens.

Remember as per #519, we can use escape codes to set the colors once
the VC is open.  This discussion is only for the console in the few
seconds before userland takes over.  If we don't plan for the user to
see those few seconds of kernel vomit, then the point gets moot.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse
Senior Linux Engineer