White background with OLPC logo

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Jun 5 12:55:18 EDT 2007

Jordan Crouse wrote:

> I can't argue that any of the solutions are ideal - a generic method
> is just as bad as the others.  I'm simply arguing that Linus is unlikely
> to take any of these,

Don't underestimate Linus, he makes surprising decsisions
sometimes.  I'd say we have 50% chances.  And if he doesn't
accept the patch, it will be one of the easiest to maintain
you'll ever see in our tree.

> so its not really something we should be spending
> our time on, especially if we're moving to splash screens.

Sorry, but it takes 10 seconds to run git-am on a patch...
Are you afraid that this temporary fix will prevent the
good solution from ever happening?

Mitch has already started working on it, and I totally
support him on this.  And if Mitch runs out of time, I
will take over and complete his work.

The only thing I'd prefer is getting Sugar on screen so
fast that there's no need to show anything else before it.

> Remember as per #519, we can use escape codes to set the colors once
> the VC is open.  This discussion is only for the console in the few
> seconds before userland takes over.  If we don't plan for the user to
> see those few seconds of kernel vomit, then the point gets moot.

Changing the palette with escape codes 10 seconds after
boot is even uglier than keeping it black.  And IMHO it's also
a big fat kludge that will break as soon as you run a program
that resets the fb to defaults.

--
   // Bernardo Innocenti
 \X/  http://www.codewiz.org/