A special linux distribution for developing OLPC applications

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Sun Jan 7 10:31:16 EST 2007

Rob,

If you know a glibc hacker, there are Geode optimized functions for some
of our basic string functions found at
http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=geode-perf;a=summary

Some of these are significantly faster than what is currently in glibc.
We've not had time yet to see about integrating them.
                               Regards,
                                 - Jim Gettys

On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 07:59 -0700, Rob Savoye wrote:
> Manish Regmi wrote:
>
> >> IIRC the new gcc 4.3 has geode specfic optimizations using -mtune=geode
> >> and -march=geode Is the crosstool really necessary if the "normal" gcc creates geode tuned
> >> x86 binaries just by using a switch?
> >
> > aah and yes we also need geode tuned glibc (and all other libraries need to
> > create softwares for olpc).
>
>   My patch works with binutils/GCC CVS, so the toolchain I built should
> be roughly 4.3. I'll add the geode specific optimizations to the config
> so they get added by default. As Manish noted, you do need a cross tool
> chain to get the specific libraries as used by the OLPC, instead of the
> versions on the host. This way you could cross develop for the OLPC from
> a Mac, Debian, Ubunutu, regardless of the processor or OS on the build
> host. You could even do (gasp...) win32->OLPC using Cygwin. I used to
> create cross tool chains all the time when I worked at Cygnus, so this
> is pretty easy.
>
> 	- rob -
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child