clicks in audio performance on the XO

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Tue Jan 2 11:49:53 EST 2007

Hi all,

while doing testing of the XO audio performance I found out, that when
using an real-time audio application like csound or the jack server from
a virtual console and switching to another virtual console resulted in
clicks ((small) interrupts in the audio playback).
Both csound and jack used small buffersizes (e.g. csound 256 samples for
the sw-buffer and 1024 for the hw-buffer). Making the buffersizes bigger
(1024, 4096) helped to get rid of the clicks but is adding latency to
the audio input/ouput as well. Switching consoles is probably not what
you want to do in every-day usage but I had clicks as well when testing
activities like memosono etc.
As far as I understand the situation, these clicks come from the audio
device not being served in time. I am not a kernel-expert but might
those issues are related to kernel locks?
I am aware of the limits of the processor power available on the XO but
maybe there are parts that can be improved to make the audio performance
as good as possible.

All the best,
   Simon