Issue while upgrading firmware

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Fri Dec 21 01:58:32 EST 2007

Mitch Bradley wrote:

> It is pretty unlikely that the battery would die during the reflashing
> process, which completes in a few seconds.  But there have been cases
> where people paniced and removed the battery right in the middle of
> reflashing.

During one of the many NiMh EC bugs sprees. I bricked a laptop because I
plugged in what appeared to be a charged battery (but wasn't) and the
External power (AC as we call it) adapter was pulugged into a strip that
was not powered.

And considering the shipping model it may not be as unlikely as you
think.  The EC does not do well with shipping self-discharge since the
SOC and the ACR values do not change yet the battery loses charge.  The
EC eventually corrects but that won't happen until the voltage goes
unexpectedly out of whack.  The V curve of the battery when the capacity
is low is very non-linear.

In the slow-boat shipping case where the batteries sit for months and
then have to wait around to get transported to the remote areas I can
totally envision there being just enough power to get you started and
then die during re-flash.   Murphy agrees.

Thats why we require battery and ext power.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child