Issue while upgrading firmware

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Thu Dec 20 18:41:44 EST 2007

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:
> On 12/20/07, elw at stderr.org <elw at stderr.org> wrote:
>
>> Alternating Current -- you really want to be plugged into a wall to
>> upgrade firmware.
>>

> Ha ha, I can't believe the "AC" meant that!  And here I was thinking
> it was some kind of checksum.  Sometimes we try the dangest solutions
> for the simplest problems.
>

>> [Complete loss of power - what you get if your battery runs down - may
>> brick a machine in the middle of its firmware update.]
>>

> Not an issue with me. I'd never upgrade without having the battery
> fully-charged, but I guess I understand the plugging requirement:
> children will be the ones dealing with the machines after all.

It is pretty unlikely that the battery would die during the reflashing
process, which completes in a few seconds.  But there have been cases
where people paniced and removed the battery right in the middle of
reflashing.

Requiring both AC and a charged battery provides some extra safety.  You
have be pretty quick to unplug the AC and also remove the battery during
the window of vulnerability.  I'm not saying that it's impossible, but
it does require enough coordinated steps that a bit of advance planning
is needed.  Not the kind of thing you're likely to do in a panic.